Since it is a balmy 30 degrees in Mansfield today, it seems hard to believe that it was 20 degrees below zero on Monday! Do you remember a day like that? When you take a breath and it feels as if your lungs are freezing? Brrrrrrrr.
To remind you of a beautiful snowy day at Mansfield you can add the adjacent photo to your computer as a desktop background. Click here to go to the online community, select the scene you like best, and follow the instructions to add as a background.
Director of Alumni Relations
P.S. Jim Steiner '75 was the winner of the December Trivia Challenge - he correctly answered "Brian Dix '82" to the question, "Name the MU alumnus who was drum major at Mansfield University in the early 1980s and has proudly served as the director of The United States Marine Drum & Bugle Corps since 1998".
Check below for this month's trivia challenge.
Upcoming Alumni and Friends Events
• MU alumni and friends will be gathering in Sarasota, FL on March 5 at the Palm-Aire Country Club for the annual luncheon. Click here for additional details and to register online!
• Register now for the alumni and friends party in Scranton, PA on April 9 at Mert's. Dress is casual, and there will be food, fun, live music, door prizes and more - because there ain't no party like a Mansfield party, in Scranton!
Click here to register and pay online.
• Save the date! Alumni Weekend 2011 is scheduled for June 10-11 and the class of 1961 will be celebrating their 50th reunion! Additional details coming soon.
• Stay up-to-date on alumni and friends happenings by clicking here.
Alumni Book Nook
St. Patrick’s Day will be here before you know it, so get into the spirit of the holiday by picking up a copy of “Casey Moore, The Littlest Leprechaun”! This children’s book, which is written by MU alumna Erika Sargent-Barker '03 and illustrated by MU alumna Autumn Rumsey '01 '08, is about a young Leprechaun boy who has to overcome great obstacles on his way to proving himself.
Click here to find out more.
One of five concentrations in the Psychology Department is Human Resource Management. Students enrolled in the program take classes that provide valuable information important to newly emerging and traditional roles in personnel administration and human resource management, such as such as interviewing and hiring, evaluation of progress, and increasing work efficiency.
Learn more about the concentration in Human Resource Management by clicking here.
View the Psychology Department’s website by clicking here.
Click here to visit the Admissions office website.
Alumni and Friends News
• Charles "Bob" Todd '66 traveled from his home in Hawaii to be at Mansfield for the formal dedication of the Steinway baby grand piano that he donated in memory of his mother and father. Students, administrators, alumni and community members gathered in Butler Music Center to be a part of the dedication ceremony on December 3, where music students played beautiful selections on the new piano and spoke about the meaning and importance of the special gift to the University. A reception was held after the ceremony and featured a variety of Hawaiian-themed treats Todd brought from home.
Click here to view photos from the event.
Learn more about this special dedication in the April 2011 edition of the “Mansfieldian”.
• The January 2011 issue of the Mansfieldian is now available to view online. Check it out by clicking here. Access the popular "class notes" by clicking here.
• To read more MU Alumni and Friends news articles, click here.
• President Maravene Loeschke has approved a new program of general education based on work completed by faculty at the end of the fall 2010 semester. The new curriculum is expected to be in place for students entering in the fall 2011 semester. Click here to read about the changes.
• 331 students became the newest members of the Alumni Association on Saturday, December 18 as Mansfield's 146th Commencement was celebrated.
Click here to read more and to find out who was presented with an honorary Doctor of Public Service degree.
Watch featured speaker D. Keith Palmer '96 on YouTube by clicking here.
• Tom Thornton was named the 2010 Student Entrepreneur of the Year by the MU Center for Entrepreneurial Leadership. Students who have a part-time business, operate a summer business or have created a functioning social enterprise were eligible. Student Alumni Ambassador Amanda Trimpey received honorable mention for her work on “The Strings Project.” Read more by clicking here.
• To find out what else is happening on campus, click here.
• Field hockey All-American Kristyn Grunza and sprint football All-CSFL selection Solomon Isom were named the Mansfield University Fall Female and Male Athletes of the Year. Find out why by clicking here.
• Taryn Schawillie was named Co-Rookie of the Year and Kristyn Grunza, Kristy Tutorow and Jessie Wolski each were selected to All-ECAC Division II field hockey honors in voting released by the ECAC. Schawillie earned 2nd Team All-PSAC West honors earlier this year and was named to the All-Rookie team by womensfieldhockey.com.
Click here to learn more.
• Freshman Catie Good broke the school record in the 60 meters and Brenae Edwards won the 5000 meters as Mansfield opened its 2010-11 indoor track and field season at the Cornell Relays in December. Find out who else placed by clicking here.
• Keep up with all of the latest scores, schedules, stats and more by visiting the MU Athletics website.
Did You Know?
You can access Mansfield University's campus bookstore at any time and from anywhere by "visiting" it online! Check out the latest MU-logo items and apparel or purchase gifts with a simple click of your mouse. VISA, American Express, Discover and MasterCard are accepted and items can be shipped worldwide.
Visit the campus bookstore today by clicking here.
Who is the chair of the Psychology Department? Email your answer to firstname.lastname@example.org and you could win a MU Alumni Association logo fleece blanket! One winner will be randomly selected from all correct entries on February 11 and announced in the next e-newsletter.
HINT: Check out the faculty and staff page on the Psychology Department's website.