You're invited to join us on campus June 7 and 8 and "Experience yesterday for a weekend"! Alumni Weekend is a special time for alumni and friends to gather together - so mark it on your calendar and join your friends and classmates on campus. Honored guests will include the Class of 1963, Society of Honors inductees, retired faculty and administrators, as well as all classes with years ending in 3 and 8. The planned activities will provide opportunities to get reacquainted, see what's new and exciting at Mansfield and to welcome Mansfield's newest president and MU alumnus, General Francis Hendricks '79! The 2013 Society of Honors recipients are Barbara Alspach Baylor '67, Dr. John "Jack" McInroy '58, Jewel Bittner Griffith '64 and D. Keith Palmer '96. They will be honored at Saturday's reunion luncheon. Reservations are required.
On-campus housing is available in the new suite-style residence facilities. Experience the "suite-life" on one of the guided tours or firsthand by reserving a room for the weekend!
FMI, to see who's planning to attend and to register online, click here.
Click here to enjoy a video of Alumni Weekend 2012.
Hope to see you in June!
Director of Alumni Relations
P.S. Elaine Lewis '77 was the winner of the March Trivia Challenge - Elaine correctly answered "Healthy People 2020” to the question “The Community Health Education curriculum has a foundation in principals of rural health and what national health initiative?”. Check below for this month's trivia challenge.
P.P.S Need your constituent ID number? It's located on the right-hand side of this message under "Your Information"
Upcoming Alumni and Friends Events
• On Thursday, May 30 the Mansfield University Foundation is hosting MU Night at PNC Park when the Pittsburgh Pirates take on the Detroit Tigers. Highlights will include a Meet and Greet with former Mountaineer baseball great Tom Brookens '75, third base coach for the Detroit Tigers and MU's new president, General Francis Hendricks '79. Click here for more information.
• On Saturday, June 8 from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. Kelchner Fitness Center will be hosting a Zumbathon charity event. Cost is $10pp and all proceeds go to March of Dimes.
• The Steve Zegalia Memorial Golf Tournament will be held on July 12 & 13 at Corey Creek Golf Club. The golf tournament, which is held in honor of former Mansfield assistant football coach Steve Zegalia, is an athletic fundraiser for student-athlete scholarships. Click here for more information.
• Mansfield Day at Eagles Mere 2013 - Please join host Marjorie Cole Lee '44 and Mansfield University staff for Mansfield Day at Eagles Mere on Wednesday, July 31, 2013 at The Crestmont Inn, located at 180 Crestmont Drive, Eagles Mere, PA 17731, 800-522-8767. Reception will begin at 11 a.m. and lunch will be served at approximately 12:15 p.m. Cost is $15 per person and reservations are required. To RSVP please call the Alumni Relations office at 888-305-6505, email firstname.lastname@example.org or register online by Friday, July 26.
Save the date for these upcoming events!
• MU's 2nd Night Football Game - September 14
• Homecoming 2013 - October 4 & 5
• Stay up-to-date on alumni and friends happenings by clicking here.
• On April 13, thirty-seven alumni and friends gathered at Mert's in downtown Scranton for an evening of food, fun, music and lots of reminiscing! Alumni hosts Marirose Murphy '79 and Lisa Chipak Spangenberg '81 were on hand to welcome the guests. After mingling, eating, and looking through yearbooks, guests participated in a raffle drawing, raising money for an emergency book fund for current students. The evening was capped off with lots of dancing to the great musical sounds of Daddy-O and the Sax Maniax. To view photos from the event, click here.
• Over 50 alumni returned on April 28 to participate in a Jazz Ensemble Reunion concert. The concert was scheduled in conjunction with the annual Jazz Festival Weekend, and served as a farewell to Dr. Michael Galloway who will be retiring at the end of this semester.
• Bill Cammon recently hosted the 5th annual MU NJ Happy Hour on May 4 in Florham Park, NJ. Over 30 alumni and friends were in attendance. Cammon shared a video of photo highlights with us. Click here to view the video.
Alumni and Friends News
• 1963 Alumnus, Terry Manning, gives back to MU. When Terry Manning received a scholarship his senior year, he was surprised and grateful. Fifty years later, Manning decided to pay it forward. Continue reading...
• Deborah A. Westin '80 has been awarded a Fulbright Scholar grant to lecture at The University of Chile, Santiago in Santiago, Chile during the 2013-2014 academic year. The full press release can be read here.
• International alumnus Aline Mendonca Braga '85 recently met with PA Governor Tom Corbett in Sao Paulo, Brazil. As part of Governor Corbett's Jobs First Mission to Brazil and Chile, Braga was invited to attend a special seminar and networking event on Thursday, April 11, 2013 in Sao Paulo. The event was open to all Pennsylvania college and university alumni and was an opportunity to reconnect with each other and establish new relationships with business leaders, academia, economic development organizations and government. Braga was honored to represent Mansfield University and shared that the meeting was very nostalgic for her, making her feel like she woke up in Sao Paulo and went to have breakfast in Pennsylvania!
• COM Day 2013 - On April 26, five MU alums returned to campus to present to current Communication majors, sharing what a typical day looks like in their current positions and how they got to their current positions. Pictured from left to right are: Mike Peters '05, Chad Landers '05, Mandy Boandl Aikens '03, Beth Harvey Manwaring '03 and Shane Wilber '05. Also shown during the program was a picture slideshow of the department's "Year in Review". In other news from the Communication department, Rob Weigand '85 was instrumental in arranging for a large donation of used equipment from ABC in Manhattan. This is the second such donation that Weigand arranged for the university, providing current students access to equipment that would otherwise be impossible for the university to purchase.
•Student Recruitment - Our appreciation goes out to the fifty alumni who participated in the Regional Admissions Receptions during the spring semester. To see who participated and where the receptions were held, click here. If you participated in one of our Alumni/Admissions program, don't forget to submit the Volunteer Feedback Form! If you've never participated before but wish to volunteer, submit a Volunteer Interest Form. You can help with student recruitment by referring a student to Mansfield at any time. Click here! In conjunction with the regional reception held in Reading, PA alumni board member Joanie Cole Berney '86 worked with the admissions office staff to coordinate an alumni/prospective student mixer at the Sovereign Center. Over 40 alumni and prospective students, along with their families, attended MU Alumni Night at the Reading Royals and watched the Royals take on the Elmira Jackals.
• Dianna Hoch, a graduate assistant in the Career Center, organized a series of panel discussions this spring semester entitled "What Can I Do in the Field of..." The panelists were comprised of alumni, faculty and staff, and other local employees. Continue reading...
• To read more MU Alumni and Friends news articles, click here.
• Junior Music Education student Tom Grisanti, from Smithtown, NY, will be biking from Baltimore, Maryland to Portland, Oregon this summer to raise money, awareness and support for young adults with cancer and their families. Grisanti was selected to participate in the 4K for Cancer program of the Ulman Cancer Fund for Young Adults. Continue reading...
This Spring the Office of Academic Affairs at Mansfield began a FACULTY WORK-IN-PROGRESS SPEAKERS SERIES
on campus. On four separate occasions, a faculty member from a different department talked about his or her research-in-progress, and invited questions and suggestions from the students and colleagues in the audience. Continue reading...
• Margaret "Fuzzy" Horton was honored for her 65 years of service to Mansfield at a special reception on May 8. Horton began working for dining services in September, 1948 and has been with the university through three name changes and twelve of the university's twenty-six presidents. Continue reading...
• Find out what else is happening on campus by clicking here.
Mansfield Announces Artificial Turf and Lights Project for Karl Van Norman Field. Keep reading...
|Gallagher Selected to Back-to-Back PSAC Central Coach of the Year Honors. Keep reading...
|Lopes Wins 200 Meters to Cap Off Historic Day for Mountaineers at PSAC Championship. Keep reading...
|Hillson Gets 800th Win on Fisher's Walk-Off Double in Extra Innings. Keep reading...
|Mansfield Names Alison Tagliaferri Head Women's Basketball Coach.
• Keep up with all of the latest scores, schedules, stats
and more by visiting the MU Athletics website
Alumni Book Nook
• Georgia Beers '90 has nine published novels and is working on her tenth. Beers has won several awards for her writing and is presenting the keynote address at the Golden Crown Literary Society's writing conference in Dallas. Click here for more information.
• George McManigle '66 has five e-books on the American Civil War available on Amazon Kindle and his website: www.archivearts.com.
• Linda Long '65 recently published her second cookbook - Virgin Vegan: The Meatless Guide to Pleasing Your Palate. From the publisher Gibbs Smith: "Linda Long's handy guide, written in a direct, often humorous, user-friendly style, educates you on planning meals, understanding new ingredients, products and brand names, and learning how to meet protein and vitamin needs. She also gives tips on simple food variations, like six ways to use a veggie burger. Add that to the host of tasty recipes for breakfast, lunch, snacks, dinner, and parties, several from some of the top vegan chefs in the world, and you've hit the vegan jackpot!" For more information, including recipes, videos and more, visit www.virginvegan.com!
Due to space limitations, we could not include all the announcements we received following the last edition of the e-newsletter. More will be published in the next edition!
• If you are a published Mansfield University alumni author, or know of an MU alumnus that is, please let the Alumni Relations Office know; we would like to add the work to our collection and may even feature it in the next edition of the Alumni Connections e-newsletter. Send all information to Pamela Kathcart, Assistant Director of Alumni Relations, at email@example.com or call 888-305-6505.
• As a Mansfield University alumnus, you qualify for a special group discount on your auto, home, and renters insurance from Liberty Mutual Insurance. With Voluntary Benefits Program, you can enjoy the ease and convenience of paying your premiums through checking account deductions with no down payment or finance charges. You'll also enjoy fast, easy, round-the-clock claims service and a variety of discounts including multi-car, multi-policy, safe-driver, passive restraints and anti-theft device discounts. See for yourself how much you could save with Liberty Mutual compared to your current insurance provider. For a free, no-obligation quote, call 1-800-835-0894 (local PA residents please contact Jim Dinsmore 800-582-8600 ext. 52986) or request a free quote online. To learn more about Liberty Mutual, visit: www.libertymutual.com/mansfield.
In addition to rate quotes, you can also find great tips and resources online. Have a teen driver in your household? Click here for information on starting out, driving lessons, teen auto insurance, and more!
Each year the Alumni Association honors deserving recipients as part of the Society of Honors recognition program. What are the four award categories? Email your answer to firstname.lastname@example.org and you could win an MU Alumni Association magnet featuring a photo of North Hall! One winner will be randomly selected from all correct entries and announced in the next e-newsletter.
HINT: Check out this page. If you would like to nominate an MU alumnus for a Society of Honors award, click here!