Dear Alumni & Friends,
Mansfield University alumni & friends made their way to campus June 7 & 8 for the annual Alumni Weekend festivities and “experienced yesterday for a weekend”! A highlight of the festivities was having the opportunity to welcome our newest president and Mansfield alumnus, Francis L. Hendricks ’79! Read more about the president and Alumni Weekend below.
Please join me in congratulating the following alums who were named to the Alumni Association board of directors at the June meeting: Pam Palka Kahn ’78 (Lake Ariel, PA), academic specialist for Educational Opportunity Centers, Inc.; Mike Kane ’03 (Springfield, PA), project manager at Telerx Healthcare; Cecelia Bennardi Rogers ’77 (Muncy, PA), retired business owner; Brian Ulmer ’05 (Watsontown, PA), director of secondary education for Milton School District; and Rocky Zegalia ’94 (Breinigsville, PA); account executive for Adams Outdoor Advertising. The following board members were elected to serve as officers: Jeffrey Howe ’04, president; Sharon Mokrzynski Kendrick ’81, first vice president and Jamie Hall ’03, second vice president. Stephanie Adams Ulmer ’04, Marsha Earley Malinich ’54, Barry Peters ’70 and Diana Rizzo Petlock ’04 were recognized for completing six years of service and Joline Spencer Martin ’08 for completing 3 years of service before retiring from the board. To learn more about the MU Alumni Association and the board, click here.
Hope to see you on September 14 for MU’s historic 2nd Night Football Game and for Homecoming on October 4 & 5! You are always welcome to stop by the Alumni Office when you are in the area – located on the ground floor of Alumni Hall.
Director of Alumni Relations
P.S. Mary Bowser '75 was the winner of the May Trivia Challenge - Mary correctly answered "Outstanding Young Alumni Award, Elsie Burk Service Award, Alumni Citation Award and Distinguished Educator Award” to the question “Each year the Alumni Association honors deserving recipients as part of the Society of Honors recognition program. What are the four award categories?”. Check below for this month's trivia challenge.
P.P.S Congratulations to the three randomly selected winners for providing feedback about Alumni Weekend 2013! Linda Roberts Miller '76, Eleanor Jones Kodish '47 and Nancy Simons Snyder '58 will each receive an MU Alumni Association logo tote bag. Click here to read comments!
Upcoming Alumni and Friends Events
• Mansfield Day at Eagles Mere 2013 - Please join host Marjorie Cole Lee '44 and Mansfield University staff for Mansfield Day at Eagles Mere on Wednesday, July 31, 2013 at The Crestmont Inn, located at 180 Crestmont Drive, Eagles Mere, PA 17731, 800-522-8767. Reception will begin at 11 a.m. and lunch will be served at approximately 12:15 p.m. Cost is $15 per person and reservations are required. To RSVP please call the Alumni Relations office at toll-free at 888-305-6505, email firstname.lastname@example.org or register online by Friday, July 26. To view photos of the 2012 event, click here.
Save the date for these upcoming events!
• Light It Up Mansfield - Again! On September 14 night football will return to Mansfield when the 2nd night football game will be played under the newly installed lights on Karl Van Norman field. Activities will begin Friday evening, September 13 and will culminate on Saturday with the football game vs. Princeton at 7:30 p.m., to be broadcast nationally by SPORTSfever. A highlight of the weekend's festivities will be the lighting ceremony which is scheduled for 7:15 PM at Van Norman Field. We are hoping to have an alumni representative from as many class years as possible to commemorate this historic event. Click here to find out how you can represent your class! Click here for a full schedule of events.
• Homecoming 2013 - October 4 & 5
• Stay up-to-date on alumni and friends happenings by clicking here.
• Two 1987 graduates returned to Mansfield to speak to the campus community and the 2013 graduates. On Friday, May 17 Martin Pane '87, U.S. Marshall, was the featured speaker during the Graduation Celebration Brunch. Freddie Coleman '87, ESPN Radio host, addressed a group of Communication students Friday evening, and delivered the commencement address on Saturday, May 18. While on campus, Coleman collaborated with the Admissions office to film a recruitment video, "Be Mansfield".
• On June 7 & 8, more than 350 alumni and friends returned to campus to join in Alumni Weekend festivities including a golf tournament, LobsterFest, Society of Honor's luncheon and more. The Class of 1963 was this year's honored guests, celebrating their 50th anniversary reunion. Holding with tradition of presenting the university with a Class gift, the Class of '63 presented a check for more than $9,000 towards their scholarship endowment fund. This year's Society of Honors recipients (pictured at left with President Hendricks '79 and Alumni Board member Sharon Mokrzynski Kendrick '81) are D. Keith Palmer '96, Outstanding Young Alumni Award; Jewel Bittner Griffith '64, Distinguished Educator Award; Dr. John "Jack" McInroy '58, Alumni Citation Award; and Barbara Alspach Baylor '67, Elsie Burk Service Award. To learn more about the Society of Honors awards including how to submit a nomination, click here. Click here to view photos from Alumni Weekend.
• Frederick Haid IV '86 hosted a Phi Sigma Kappa Tau Pentaton chapter reunion at his home in southeastern PA on June 22nd. The brothers get together every other year and take turns hosting the gathering. This year, they had "Summer Reunion 2013" t-shirts printed with the Mansfield University logo on the back.
• Two alumni gatherings took place on Saturday, July 13. The annual Steve Zegalia Memorial Golf Tournament was held at Corey Creek Golf Club in Mansfield, PA. This event, organized jointly by the Athletic department and Rocco Zegalia '94 is a fundraiser for athletic scholarships. Tony Confer '97 hosted the annual Billtown Bash in Williamsport, PA, with over 100 alumni in attendance!
Alumni and Friends News
• Marci Lippert Scheuing '05 named Kutztown Head Field Hockey Coach. Continue reading...
• Sarah Tinney '12 of Covington, PA, was accepted into the Peace Corps and departed for Mongolia on May 30, 2013 to begin training as a Public Health and Health Promotion volunteer. Tinney will live and work in a community to improve the establishment of sanitary, well-organized health organizations and clinics. Click here to read the full press release.
• To read more MU Alumni and Friends news articles, click here.
• Francis L. Hendricks '79 returned to Mansfield and assumed his role as President of Mansfield University on May 28, 2013. Click here to read his message to the MU community. President Hendricks also sat down with MU's Director of Public Relations Dennis Miller '71 and recorded an episode of "Conversations", available to view here.
• CJA Launches New Online A.S. Option The Criminal Justice Administration Program announces the creation of the new online CJAO Associates of Science track. Now prospective students will have the option to earn an A.S. degree delivered entirely online. This program is specifically designed to meet the needs of students who would like the flexibility to complete course work at their convenience, such as current criminal justice practitioners, current military, or students with full-time jobs or other commitments. Applications are currently being accepted and courses will begin during the fall 2013 semester. FMI contact the Admissions office, 800-577-6826 or 570-662-4243.
• Find out what else is happening on campus by clicking here.
• Keep up with all of the latest scores, schedules, stats and more by visiting the MU Athletics website.
Alumni Book Nook
• Dr. Michael Dunsmore '83 authored Chapter nine of The Special Education Program, Administrator's Handbook and his doctoral dissertation The Effect of Self-Determination Instruction on Students with Learning Disabilities in the IEP Transition Process is published with UMI, ProQuest Information and Learning Company.
• Erika Sargent-Barker '03 published her second book, "Living With a Legend", which tells the story of a third-grade girl who becomes separated from her group during a hike in the wilderness.
• Former student Adrian Kulp recently released his book "Dad or Alive: Confessions of an Unexpected Stay-at-Home Dad". After Kulp started blogging about his adventures as a stay-at-home dad, he was contacted by a literary agent who urged him to put together a book proposal. According to Kulp, the result is a "comedic memoir about becoming a father for the first time and [his] subsequent year of being a stay-at-home dad."
• If you are a published Mansfield University alumni author, or know of an MU alumnus that is, please let the Alumni Relations Office know; we would like to add the work to our collection and may even feature it in the next edition of the Alumni Connections e-newsletter. Send all information to Pamela Kathcart, Assistant Director of Alumni Relations, at email@example.com or call 888-305-6505.
What were the three criteria President Hendricks had for a post-military career? Email your answer to firstname.lastname@example.org and you could win an MU Alumni Association magnet featuring a photo of North Hall! One winner will be randomly selected from all correct entries and announced in the next e-newsletter.
HINT: Read President Hendricks' message to the MU community.
Forward this email to a friend
| SAVE THE DATE!
Mansfield Day at Eagles Mere
Light It Up Mansfield - Again!
October 4 & 5
|Is the information we have on file for you correct?
First Name Last Name
Constituent ID Constituent ID
Address Line 1
City, State Zip
You can also use this form to submit a Class Note or send a message to the Alumni Relations Office.
| REGISTER ONLINE!
|Become a registered member of the online community today! Go to alumni.mansfield.edu and:
• Click on 'First Time Login'
• 'Account Lookup' page will appear.
• Enter your last name, click 'Find'
• Select button to the left of your name and click 'Next'
• Enter your unique Constituent ID number, which is: Constituent ID and click 'Verify'.
• Create your username and password.
• Complete the account setup form 'My Account'.
• Create and customize your personal profile 'My Page' using the 'Add content' feature.
| ONLINE COMMUNITY HIGHLIGHT
|Did you know you can read back issues of the Mansfieldian and the Alumni Connections e-newsletter online? Go to alumni.mansfield.edu and click on "Communications" for a list of archived issues.
| Online community members who recently updated their info:
Having trouble viewing this email?
Click here to see it in your browser.