It was wonderful to have the opportunity to welcome alumni & friends to campus for the "Light it Up Again
" festivities on September 14 when the Mounties played their first night football game at home since 1892. We are very thankful to the many alums who proudly represented their class during the pre-game lighting ceremony and we're especially grateful to 101-year old alumnus, Chester Bailey '35
, for his role in getting the evening's events underway!
A re-enactment of that first night game in 1892 will take place on September 28 at 8:30 PM at Smythe Park in Mansfield. Click on the link at right for information on all the events taking place during the Fabulous 1890's Weekend
We'll be celebrating Homecoming 2013
on October 4 through 6.
We hope you can join us!
Director of Alumni Relations
P.S. Hank Zarzycki '85 was the winner of the July Trivia Challenge - Hank correctly answered "an endeavor facing challenges that would benefit from my experiences; the ability to continue to be part of something bigger than myself; the opportunity to serve and make a difference in the lives of others” to the question “What were the three criteria President Hendricks had for a post-military career?”. Check below for this month's trivia challenge.
Upcoming Alumni and Friends Events
• Homecoming 2013, October 4-6. The annual Homecoming celebration will kick-off on Friday, October 4 with events scheduled throughout the weekend. Friday's events will include the annual Homecoming Golf Tournament and the Hall of Fame dinner and induction ceremony, followed by a bonfire, pep rally and fireworks. This year's Hall of Fame inductees are: Robert "Bo" Brisiel '66, Scott Frick '93, Nate Gibson '97 and Terry Manning '63. The Homecoming parade will take place Saturday morning, followed by an Alumni Tent Party at the Water Tower and the Mounties Sprint Football team taking on Post University at 1pm. Other events include a Women's Alumni Softball game, an Alumni Baseball game, a field hockey game, the annual Prism Concert and other musical events. FMI or to register online, click here.
Check out the University Calendar
for other events happening on campus.
• On July 31, more than 40 alumni and friends joined host Marjorie Cole Lee '44 for the annual Mansfield Day at Eagles Mere. Class years fof those in attendance ranged from 1944 to 2002, spanning 58 years! Guests enjoyed light refreshments while perusing yearbooks and two scrapbooks compiled by Ruth Phillips Tuttle '49, followed by a luncheon. Pictured at left are host Marge Lee '44 and MayBelle Woodin Golis '49. Additional photos can be viewed here.
• On June 15, Elizabeth Kenny '09 and Christian Spangenberg '09 celebrated their marriage. Christian's parents, Lisa Chipak Spangenberg '81 and Christian Spangenberg '81, also met at Mansfield! Liz and Christian joined with other MU alumni and friends in attendance and posed for a photo. Click here for the photo caption.
Alumni and Friends News
• Joyce M. Tice '66, local historian, established The History Center on Main Street in downtown Mansfield. Tice, who has long been known for her geneaology research, also writes the "Looking Back" column for Mountain Home magazine. Tice and The History Center on Main Street are featured in the September issue in an article entitled "The Time Wizard". A grand opening celebration for the center is planned for October 4 & 5, in conjunction with MU's Homecoming celebration. Tice hopes to see returning alumni and friends take an interest in the Center and to visit during the grand opening!
• The Career Center is happy to announce that the new online job and internship posting site for students, alumni and employers is now live! Mountie Career Connection takes the place of the former College Central Network and has several new capabilities. Create your account by going to career.mansfield.edu and click on the Mountie Career Connection logo. Select "Students/Alumni", then "Alumni Registration". After submitting the form a confirmation email will be sent to your email address. Confirm your registration and you're all set! Questions? Contact the Career Center at 570-662-4133 or email@example.com. The Career Center would also like to invite you to attend an Educator Professional Development Day and Job Fair, hosted by Slippery Rock University on October 18. Click here for more information.
• To read more MU Alumni and Friends news articles, click here.
• The 2013-2014 academic year kicked-off at the end of August with the President's Breakfast as part of University Days and the Convocation ceremony to welcome our new students. Dr. Jeffrey Bosworth, associate professor of History and Political Science, was the featured speaker at Convocation. His address, "Hunting for Hope in Modern America", is available to view on MU's YouTube channel, along with the remarks given by President Fran Hendricks '79.
• After a 121-year absence, Mansfield saw the return of night football on Saturday, September 14 when Chester Bailey '35 flipped the switch to turn on the newly installed lights at Karl Van Norman Field. In addition to his daughter, Barbara Bailey McConnell '64, and his granddaughter Teressa McConnell Sivers '92, Bailey was joined on the field by President Francis Hendricks '79, State Representative and member of the Board of Governors Matt Baker, Council of Trustees chairman Ralph Meyer, Student Government Association President Josh Gibson, Assistant Director of Public Relations and 1890's Re-enactment Official Terry Day, and more than 120 alumni and former football players to help commemorate the historic event. Photos can be viewed by clicking here, select Sprint Football vs. Princeton. Game stats can be viewed here.
• Find out what else is happening on campus by clicking here.
• Keep up with all of the latest scores, schedules, stats and more by visiting the MU Athletics website.
Alumni Book Nook
• If you are a published Mansfield University alumni author, or know of an MU alumnus that is, please let the Alumni Relations Office know; we would like to add the work to our collection and may even feature it in the next edition of the Alumni Connections e-newsletter. Send all information to Pamela Kathcart, Assistant Director of Alumni Relations, at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 888-305-6505.
What campus building is this? Email your answer to email@example.com and you could win an MU Alumni Association magnet featuring a photo of North Hall! One winner will be randomly selected from all correct entries and announced in the next e-newsletter.
Forward this email to a friend
| SAVE THE DATE!
|Fabulous 1890's Weekend
September 27 & 28
October 4 & 5
March 15, 2014
Alumni Weekend 2014
June 13 & 14
|Is the information we have on file for you correct?
Constituent ID ##Constituent ID##
##Address Line 1##
##City##, ##State## ##Zip##
You can also use this form to submit a Class Note or send a message to the Alumni Relations Office.
| REGISTER ONLINE!
|Become a registered member of the online community today! Go to alumni.mansfield.edu and:
• Click on 'First Time Login'
• 'Account Lookup' page will appear.
• Enter your last name, click 'Find'
• Select button to the left of your name and click 'Next'
• Enter your unique Constituent ID number, which is: ##Constituent ID## and click 'Verify'.
• Create your username and password.
• Complete the account setup form 'My Account'.
• Create and customize your personal profile 'My Page' using the 'Add content' feature.
| ONLINE COMMUNITY HIGHLIGHT
|Did you know you can read back issues of the Mansfieldian and the Alumni Connections e-newsletter online? Go to alumni.mansfield.edu and click on "Communications" for a list of archived issues.
| Online community members who recently updated their info:
Having trouble viewing this email?
Click here to see it in your browser.