Dear Alumni & Friends,
The President's Office recently sponsored a contest for MU
students, challenging them to create a logo which shows that "MU" is needed to spell community. There were many creative submissions, with top honors going to Art Education major Emily Crandell for her winning entry pictured here. Congratulations, Emily!
A new website was recently launched to help us to spread the good news about Mansfield. The content is created by anyone who has something positive to share about their experience at Mansfield! Since MU alumni and friends are some of Mansfield University's most loyal and valuable supporters, we'd love to hear from you.
Share your favorite memories of when you were a student, let us know why Mansfield is special to you and how you "stay connected" with your alma mater. Perhaps you assist with student recruitment efforts or share your professional experience with students by speaking in a class or recruiting students for internships or jobs at your company. Do you donate your time and expertise by serving on a board? Submit stories, photos, videos and more at "MU: Mount Up, Move Out, Lead!
". All submissions will be reviewed and the best ones will be published on the website as well as through our social media channels and the mansfield.edu
Once a Mountie, Always a Mountie!
Director of Alumni Relations
P.S. Scott Deischer '71 was the winner of the September Trivia Challenge - Scott correctly identified Straughn Auditorium as the building in the photo. Check below for this month's trivia challenge.
Upcoming Alumni and Friends Events
• MU On the Road: Sarasota, FL, March 15, 2014. Alumni hosts Donna Congdon Mokrzynski '55 and Don Stanton '53 look forward to welcoming you at the University Park Country Club for an alumni luncheon. More information coming soon! Click here to view photos of the 2013 gathering.
• Save the date for Alumni Weekend 2014! June 13 & 14. Click here to enjoy a video montage of Alumni Weekend 2013.
• Greetings to Mansfield alumni and former members of the Black Awareness Association! Cindy Cotton '80, Nancy Warrick '79 and April Smith extend an invitation for you to meet them on campus for Alumni Weekend 2014, scheduled for June 13 & 14. Cindy and Nancy attended Alumni Weekend in 2013 and were amazed by the growth and positive changes to the university. They enjoyed getting reacquainted with Fran Hendricks '79, former classmate and now President of Mansfield University! In addition to the annual traditions such as the LobsterFest and the reunion luncheon, they are planning to host some special activities for former BAA members and friends. To let them know if you are interested in attending and getting reacquainted with your Mansfield friends, email Cindy at Cynthia.Cotton@csc.state.nj.us.
Check out the University Calendar
for other events happening on campus.
• Alumni, family and friends returned to campus on October 4 & 5 to celebrate the MU Alumni Athletic Hall of Fame induction ceremony and Homecoming. The annual athletic golf tournament kicked-off the weekend, followed by a magic show, Hall of Fame dinner, pep rally, fireworks, parade, Alumni Welcome party, a special performance by the marching band and the coronation of the Homecoming King and Queen. Click here to view photos from the weekend, or here to view a video montage!
• The Mansfield University Concert Wind Ensemble held their 60th reunion November 1-3 in Butler Music Center, culminating with a 2:30 pm concert that featured both the current and alumni groups performing alone and together. Current conductor of the MU CWE, Dr. Adam F. Brennan, organized the event with graduate assistants and music alumni Julia Federico and Graham Kerick. Faculty Emeritus Donald Stanley, who led the MU CWE from 1971-1991 was also present and shared the conducting and rehearsal duties with the groups. Click here to continue reading.
Alumni and Friends News
• Call for Nominations! Mansfield University is fortunate to have many successful alumni and the MU Alumni Association celebrates their outstanding achievements through the Society of Honors Awards recognition program. Nominations for the 2014 awards are being accepted through December 31, 2013. Click here to learn more and to submit a nomination for a deserving alumnus.
• Friends and family of former Mountaineer Gerald Mattis '64 have paid tribute to Jerry's legacy and leadership with the establishment of "The Jerry Mattis Scholarship Fund" at the Mansfield University Foundation. To learn more about the establishment of this fund, or how you can contribute, click here.
• Andre Canniere '01 recently released his second jazz album "Coalescence" with Whirlwind Recordings. Click here to read more.
• While on a recent trip to Disney's Animal Kingdom, MU employees Lindsey Sikorski and Andee Cummings Dunham '04 had the opportunity to meet up with Andrew Maksymowich '12. Andrew is an Entertainment Management Intern with Characters and Disney Photo Imaging, a position that he finds to be very rewarding. Andrew contributes much of his success to his time here at Mansfield. Click here to read his story.
• To read more MU Alumni and Friends news articles, click here.
Benefit Update for Alumni Association Members and Friends
The Mansfield University Alumni Association and Nationwide Insurance® are pleased to announce a new member benefit opportunity!
Mansfield University Alumni Association is excited to announce a new partnership with Nationwide Insurance. Through this partnership, Mansfield University Alumni Association members and friends can get reliable protection for all the things that matter to them, including exclusive discounts for select Nationwide products and services. Like us, Nationwide is made of members and for members. This philosophy drives their industry-leading On Your Side® service, and serves as one of the many reasons we think this partnership is a great fit.
Read below for the official member welcome from President & COO of Nationwide Insurance, Mark Pizzi '78.
“As a 1978 graduate of Mansfield University, I am proud that Nationwide Insurance is partnering with the Mansfield University Alumni Association to offer discounts to its members on Nationwide products such as auto, powersports and pet insurance. In addition to the discounts, we also will support the Association’s mission of providing and promoting programs and services to Mansfield University alumni. We are excited about the opportunity to affiliate Nationwide with Mansfield University and to offer our diverse products and On Your Side experience to the University’s alumni members.”
Get a free quote today or call 1-866-633-5747!
Be sure to let us know that you are a member or friend of the Mansfield University Alumni Association to get your exclusive discount on auto insurance. The discount also applies to current customers that are MU Alumni Association members or friends.
• Mansfield University Salutes America's Veterans. Click here to see the message from the president of MU, Francis L. Hendricks '79, Brigadier General (USAF) Retired.
• Projections in Dealing with Budget Deficit Adjusted. As Mansfield University officials continue to work on creating more efficient operations, the number of possible faculty and staff cutbacks is shrinking. Click here to continue reading...To read an editorial which summarizes the fiscal crisis universities like MU are facing, click here.
• MU students recently traveled to Harrisburg to meet with legislators regarding state funding for education. Continue reading...
• Peggy Dettwiler, professor of Music and director of Choral Activities at Mansfield University, achieved second place nationally in the choral division of The American Prize 2013 conducting competition. Continue reading...
• Find out what else is happening on campus by clicking here.
• Keep up with all of the latest scores, schedules, stats and more by visiting the MU Athletics website.
Alumni Book Nook
• If you are a published Mansfield University alumni author, or know of an MU alumnus that is, please let the Alumni Relations Office know; we would like to add the work to our collection and may even feature it in the next edition of the Alumni Connections e-newsletter. Send all information to Pamela Kathcart, Assistant Director of Alumni Relations, at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 888-305-6505.
Where was this photo taken? Email your answer to email@example.com and you could win an MU Alumni Association magnet featuring a photo of North Hall! One winner will be randomly selected from all correct entries and announced in the next e-newsletter.