Dear Alumni & Friends,
With Daylight Saving Time going into effect this weekend, let's hope that the long, cold, snowy days of winter that many of us have been enduring are behind us and warmer weather will be here soon!
There are numerous events to look forward to including regional events in Florida and Pittsburgh as well as events on campus, such as the Operations Ambition conference, a comedy performance by Aziz Ansari and this weekend's production of Les Miserables!
Alumni Weekend is scheduled for June 13 & 14 and we'll be commemorating all class years ending in "4" and "9". Members of the Class of 1964 will be celebrating their 50th anniversary and the Class of 1954 will be returning to campus for their 60th anniversary! We hope you can join us.
The spring issue of the Cadenza is available online and includes a calendar of music-related events plus recaps of recent performances and honors. Recent news on athletics, including spring schedules, are available at GoMounties.com.
Director of Alumni Relations
P.S. Mandy Boandl Aikens '03
was the winner of the November Trivia Challenge - Mandy
correctly identified the photo as the bell outside of Memorial Hall. Check below for this month's trivia challenge.
Upcoming Alumni and Friends Events
• There's still time to register for MU On the Road: Sarasota, FL - Saturday, March 15. Alumni hosts Donna Congdon Mokrzynski '55 and Don Stanton '53 will be hosting the annual MU Alumni & Friends get-together in Sarasota, FL at the University Park Country Club.
Guest speakers will include MU president, General Francis Hendricks '79
and Helene Trimborn Messner '64
. Click here for more information
• Pittsburgh Open House -
On Friday, April 4 Dr. Vincent Lawrence '63
will be hosting a special get-together to introduce MU alumni and friends in the Pittsburgh area to Mansfield University's newest president and alumnus, Fran Hendricks '79
. FMI or to register, click here
• MU Men's and Women's Basketball held a Basketball Alumni Day on Saturday, February 22nd. The names of the alumni in attendance were announced during the games, and the MU Alumni Association provided door prizes. Shown in the photo are door prize winners Carl Walker '85
and Brandon DeShields '06.
Benefit Update for Alumni Association Members and Friends
The Mansfield University Alumni Association and Nationwide Insurance® are pleased to announce a new member benefit opportunity!
Mansfield University Alumni Association is excited to announce a new partnership with Nationwide Insurance. Through this partnership, Mansfield University Alumni Association members and friends can get reliable protection for all the things that matter to them, including exclusive discounts for select Nationwide products and services. Like us, Nationwide is made of members and for members. This philosophy drives their industry-leading On Your Side® service, and serves as one of the many reasons we think this partnership is a great fit.
Read below for the official member welcome from President & COO of Nationwide Insurance, Mark Pizzi '78.
“As a 1978 graduate of Mansfield University, I am proud that Nationwide Insurance is partnering with the Mansfield University Alumni Association to offer discounts to its members on Nationwide products such as auto, powersports and pet insurance. In addition to the discounts, we also will support the Association’s mission of providing and promoting programs and services to Mansfield University alumni. We are excited about the opportunity to affiliate Nationwide with Mansfield University and to offer our diverse products and On Your Side experience to the University’s alumni members.”
Get a free quote today or call 1-866-633-5747!
Be sure to let us know that you are a member or friend of the Mansfield University Alumni Association to get your exclusive discount on auto insurance. The discount also applies to current customers that are MU Alumni Association members or friends.
Click here for a helpful "Guide to Car Maintenance".
Alumni and Friends News
• Thank you alumni volunteers! In January we sent a request to MU alums, asking for assistance with the annual Admissions postcard campaign. And in true Mountie Spirit, alumni responded quickly and positively: "Count me in!", "I'd love to. Please send me the materials!", "I'd be happy to take part.", "Sign me up!", "This is a great idea and I'd like to participate!" In fact, 381 alums volunteered to help with this important project and through their efforts we were able to reach out to all accepted students (Fall 2014) with a personal handwritten note! Receiving a heartfelt message from an alumnus is just one more example of what defines Mansfield as someplace special! Click here to view this year's volunteers. Preserving Our Past – Promoting Our Future!
Tioga County has a new cab service thanks to Jim Oldham '88
and his new business, Canyon Country Cabs
. Jim and his wife Tammy were interviewed by the Tioga Freedomist, a local news provider. Click here to watch the interview.
now available online! Archives of the Flashlight
(1926 - Spring 2010) are now available online, as well as 2 older newspapers/newsletters, the Normal Spotlight
(1916-1917) and the Semaphore
(1920-1921). Sheila Kasperek, Reference Librarian at MU, needs your help in finding lost/missing issues of the Flashlight
. Click here
for a list of issues needed. For a complete listing of North Hall Library's digital archives, click here
• Two hundred and sixty-seven students received degrees at MU's 149th Commencement. This was the first Commencement for President Fran Hendricks '79 since his return to his alma mater. Continue reading...
• Mansfield University named one of the 4 safest college campuses in the U.S by SafeWise. Continue reading...
• MU alumni are invited and encouraged to attend the Second Annual Operation Ambition Conference, scheduled for April 25 & 25 at Mansfield University.
This year's theme, "The Pathway to Cultural Competence" is designed to build upon last year's conference theme, "A Pathway to Success for Underrepresented Students." This dynamic and interactive conference seeks to promote open-mindedness, the celebration of diversity and inclusiveness, and the acceptance of others within MU and our local communities. The conference will focus on four central components for Competency: Awareness, Sensitivity, Knowledge, and Skills. Click here for more information
• Einstein Bros. Bagels
opened in the new Spruce Hall on campus, providing a new option to MU students and the public for food and drink. Click here to read more
Alumni Book Nook
• Kathy Sherman-Morris '97, assistant professor of geography and climatology at Mississippi State University, published Mississippi Weather and Climate, a comprehensive survey of the state's wild and crazy weather history.
• What campus building is this? Email your answer to email@example.com and you could win an MU Alumni Association magnet featuring a photo of North Hall! One winner will be randomly selected from all correct entries and announced in the next e-newsletter.