Dear Alumni & Friends,
This year's theme for Alumni Weekend is "Keep the Memories Alive!" and we hope you'll join us on campus June 13 & 14 to do just that! This year's honored guests include the Class of 1964, Society of Honors inductees, retired faculty and administrators, as well as all classes with years ending in 4 and 9. We extend our congratulations to the 2014 Society of Honors recipients: John Quashnoc '70, Elsie Burk Service, Ali Soufan '94, Outstanding Young Alumnus, Maureen Fallon-Walsh '78, Alumni Citation and Mary Jane Todd Eckel '74, Distinguished Educator. They will be honored at Saturday's reunion luncheon. On Saturday afternoon, President Fran Hendricks '79 and his wife, Connie, are looking forward to hosting everyone for ice cream at the their residence!
On-campus housing is available in the new climate-controlled suite-style residence facilities. Experience the "suite-life" on one of the guided tours or firsthand by reserving a room for the weekend!
FMI on all the events and activities, to see who's planning to attend and to register online, click here. Click here to enjoy a video of Alumni Weekend 2013.
Hope to see you in June!
Director of Alumni Relations
P.S. Greg Peck '72 was the winner of the March Trivia Challenge - Greg correctly identified the building in the photo as North Hall. Check below for this month's trivia challenge.
Upcoming Alumni and Friends Events
• The 8th annual Billtown Bash is scheduled for Saturday, July 19 and will be hosted by Tony Confer '97. The day will begin with a golf outing and at 6:30 pm everyone will be gathering at the Cell Block to kick off the evening festivities. FMI or to register, contact Tony at firstname.lastname@example.org
• Mansfield Day at Eagles Mere 2014 - Please join host Marjorie Cole Lee '44 and Mansfield University staff for Mansfield Day at Eagles Mere on Wednesday, July 30 at The Crestmont Inn, located at 180 Crestmont Drive, Eagles Mere, PA 17731, 800-522-8767. Reception will begin at 11 a.m. and lunch will be served at approximately 12:15 p.m. Cost is $15 per person and reservations are required. To RSVP please call the Alumni Relations office at 888-305-6505 or 570-662-4390, email email@example.com or register online by Friday, July 25. To view photos of the 2013 event, click here.
• MU Alumni in the Lehigh Valley are invited to join current and recent Alumni Board members for an evening of food, fun, friends and baseball on Thursday, July 31 when the Iron Pigs take on the Rochester Red Wings at Coca-Cola Park in Allentown, PA. Tables have been reserved on the PPL Picnic patio and the Phillie Phanatic is scheduled to make an appearance! Gates open at 5:45 PM. Cost is $25 pp and seating is limited. Click here to register.
• Pittsburgh, PA -On April 4, MU alumni and friends spent a pleasant Friday evening at the home of Dr. Vincent Lawrence '63 in Natrona Heights, PA. Vince hosted an Open House to introduce President Fran Hendricks '79 and his wife, Connie, to MU alumni & friends in the Pittsburgh area. Guests enjoyed delicious food while browsing through Carontawans and reminiscing about Mansfield. Click here to view photos from the event.
• Sarasota, Florida - Alumni and friends gathered for lunch at the University Park Country Club in Sarasota on March 15. We are thankful to Donna Congdon Mokrzynski ’55 and Don Stanton ’53 for coordinating this annual gathering and welcoming current and former leadership board members Lew Lee ’62 and his wife Linda, Nancy Marsden '72 and her husband, Rich, and Leta Jo Maue'73 and her husband, Fred. Helene Trimborn Messner '64, a certified dietitian nutritionist, was the alumni guest speaker and provided everyone with a commemorative recipe. Click here to view photos.
Summer will soon be here and for many of us that includes vacation and travel plans. Click here for tips on how to keep your car and belongings safe from break-ins!
If you are looking for new auto insurance coverage, check out the exclusive members-only savings from Nationwide Insurance available to MU Alumni Association members and friends! 1-866-633-5747
Alumni and Friends News
• Thank you alumni volunteers! Our appreciation goes out to the twenty-eight alumni who participated in the Regional Admissions Receptions during the spring semester. To see who participated click here. If you participated in one of our Alumni/Admissions programs, don't forget to submit the Volunteer Feedback Form! If you've never participated before but would like to volunteer, submit a Volunteer Interest Form. You can help with student recruitment by referring a student to Mansfield any time. Click here!
• Three Mansfield Alumni plus an extra...play in a piano quartet (two pianos - eight hands). The Two by Fours, pictured at left at a performance at West Chester University, is comprised of Bruce Tonkin '73, John Bednar '74, Joan Valentine Johnson '75 and local friend and pianist Robin Ward. The group performs at local benefits and events that raise funds for great causes. They also perform two concerts during the year like this one at West Chester University (PA) that are free for the community to attend.
• David Barr '14
and Rebecca Hazen '10
are recipients of Keystone Press Awards. Presented annually, these awards reinforce excellence by individuals in the newspaper profession by recognizing journalism that consistently provides relevance, integrity and initiative in serving readers, and furthers First Amendment values. Continue reading...
• Joel Ryder '04
and Jonathan Laidacker '03
are collaborating on a mural project for the Warrior Run School District in Pennsylvania. Ryder received a BSE in Art Education and is employed by the Warrior Run School District. Laidacker received a BS in Studio Art and is a self-employed mural artist. He also collaborates with the City of Philadelphia Mural Arts program. Some of his work can be seen on his website
. The Warrior Run mural dedication
will take place on Wednesday, May 28 at 6:30 pm at the Warrior Run Middle School. Click here for more info.
• Veteran Information Being Requested! The MU Office of Military & Veteran Affairs is attempting to document all alumni and current and retired faculty and staff who are Veterans.
Please assist them in their efforts by informing them of your status as a Veteran - include your branch of service and the years served. Please identify your association with Mansfield: Are you an alumnus (include graduation year) or a faculty/staff member at Mansfield (years of employment)? The Office of Military & Veteran Affairs will be using this information to establish a recognition program, including a Wall of Honor, for all our Veterans. Please e-mail requested information to firstname.lastname@example.org
or mail to 209 Memorial Hall, 20 Straughn Dr., Mansfield, PA 16933. FMI call 570-662-4244.
• More than 300 students, along with MU faculty and staff, were out in force on Saturday, April 12 for "The Big Event", a day-long community service project.
This year's annual COM Day
took place on Friday, April 25. Originally conceived by Dr. Howard Travis, faculty emeritus, this much anticipated annual event brings MU alums to campus to share their "real-world" experiences with current students. This year's speakers included: Rebekah Brown '09
(Journalism), Staff Writer at The Times-Tribune
in Scranton, PA, Angel Walker '08
(Public Relations), Self-published author, Jennifer Caslin '05
(Communication), Coordinator of Marketing, Public & Branch Relations for the Food Bank of Central & Eastern North Carolina, Jani Burke '00
(Broadcasting), Manager, Content Associate Program - ESPN, Inc.
• Distinguished Lecturer
- MU alumnus Jeff Thomas '84
, warden at the Lewisburg Federal Penitentiary, returned to campus to share information about career opportunities within the penal system and to provide some valuable personal insight for CJA students. Read more
• Jamie Hall, Esq. '03, vice-president of the MU Alumni Association, was the guest speaker at the annual Graduation Celebration Brunch held on May 5. Continue reading...
• Dr. Francis (Frank) Duffy '74
gave the commencement address at MU's 149th Commencement on May 10. Continue reading...
Alumni Book Nook
• William Bryan Smith '07 is the author of four novels. His newest book, Free Range Men, is scheduled for release on August 1. Smith describes his latest release as "a seriocomic novel about a divorced middle-aged academic man struggling to make sense of his life. Click here for more information.
• What two campus buildings can be seen in this photo? Email your answer to email@example.com and you could win an MU Alumni Association magnet featuring a photo of North Hall! One winner will be randomly selected from all correct entries and announced in the next e-newsletter.